- This event has passed.
Online Event: The role of the EU in Ocean Diplomacy
April 21, 2021 @ 14:00 - 16:00
Wednesday 21 April 2021, 14:00 – 16:00 CEST
Hosted by MEP Catherine Chabaud
Co-chair of the ‘Ocean Governance’ Working Group of the European Parliament Intergroup on ‘Climate Change, Biodiversity and Sustainable Development’
with the participation of Mr. Virginijus Sinkevičius,
European Commissioner for Environment, Oceans and Fisheries
International Ocean Governance is increasingly gaining importance both at EU and global level. The European Commission is currently reviewing its approach to the management of the oceans through several initiatives such as the International Ocean Governance (IOG) Forum and the European Green Deal. As it was also highlighted throughout the IOG Forum, ocean governance is currently being debated in different global processes, including the Post-2020 Global Biodiversity Targets, the UN Climate Change Convention and the Biodiversity Beyond National Jurisdiction (BBNJ) Agreement.
The role of the EU in all these fora will be key to determine the future direction of ocean governance; it therefore becomes critical that coordinated actions are taken at all levels of ocean diplomacy. This event therefore aims at outlining and informing the EU’s position on these processes to allow for integrated and coordinated decisions that will determine the future of our oceans.
14:00 – 14:10 – Welcome by MEP Catherine Chabaud
14:10 – 14:25 – Keynote address by Virginijus Sinkevičius, European Commissioner for Environment, Oceans and Fisheries
14:25 – 14:35 – Portuguese Presidency of the Council of the European Union: Ricardo Serrão Santos, Minister of Maritime Affairs, Portugal
14:35 – 14:55 – Presentations by the European Commission:
- DG MARE: Ocean governance, including BBNJ negotiations: Marc Richir, Senior Expert on international ocean governance and law of the sea, DG MARE
- DG ENV: Oceans in the Post-2020 Global Biodiversity Framework of the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD): Humberto Delgado Rosa, Director of Natural Capital, DG ENV
14:55 – 15:35 – Reactions by:
- Serge Ségura, Ambassador in charge of the maritime negotiations, Ministry for Europe and Foreign Affairs, France
- Sophie Mirgaux, Special Envoy for the Ocean, Ministry of Environment, Belgium
- Kristina Gjerde, Senior High Seas Advisor, IUCN Global Marine and Polar Programme, and Steering Committee Member, High Seas Alliance
- Javier Garat, President, Europêche
15:35 – 15:55 – Q&As session with the audience, moderated by MEP Catherine Chabaud
15:55 – 16:00 – Closing remarks and take-away messages by MEP Catherine Chabaud